Made with Moxie: What I'm working on

January 19, 2012

What I'm working on

This year I joined an online quilting bee. Each month I am sent fabric and instructions of which block the person wants made from the book Modern 99: Quilt Blocks from your Favorite Designers. This month is happyvanillabean's month. Here is the block I made for her.
I also made my test block since my month is March and I figure it is safer to be ahead of schedule instead of rushing especially when dealing with the unpredictability of 2 kiddos. I chose the block called Pinball Machine and plan on using fabrics from my stash of favorites. It was so hard to cut them up, but if I don't I'll just have to get buried with them. Each square will be 2 different fabrics. Here is my test block.

I also made three zippy bags with the awesome hand printed fabric that I won from Amy at During Quiet Time during the Sew,Mama, Sew give away. You can buy some of her printed fabric from her Etsy shop. I love the prints so much and tried to use every square inch! Her husband also makes the most amazing stitch rippers. I don't have a picture of mine, but I love it. It has a great weight and feel to it. Even if I'm pissed off to be ripping out a seam, at least I feel like a professional doing so. I plan on giving one bag away as part of the Gen Q Stitchy Valentine Swap The fate of the others haven't been decided.

Front of bags
Backs of bags
I am still working on my crocheted rainbow afghan (aka Wedding Kiki**) using the design Lucy shared at Attic 24 And yes, I started it in 2010. I am making it king size so when my husband steals the covers I can still have some. So far, I have a king sized scarf. This may very well end up being a Tenth Anniversary Kiki.

Also on my hook is a pink and black hat for my MIL. She saw one I made earlier this year and said she'd look so cute rocking it around Disneyland this winter. I am also slowly painting the old Ikea Billy book cases white in the basement. In the garage and sunroom are the pieces of Jane's big girl bed. And let's not even get started on the sewing projects and Etsy orders. And no I'm not super woman. I have a dirty house, easy dinners and am sleep deprived. I don't think I could stop if I wanted to.

**When I was a child I called the afghan my grandmother made for me my kiki. It is now just common terminology around our house for all crocheted blankets.