Made with Moxie: Beach Bum Bimaa for Boys

October 11, 2013

Beach Bum Bimaa for Boys

Beach Bum Bimaa hooodie and pin-up Prefontaine Shorts for boys || Made with Moxie || Sewing for boys, kids clothing sewing


We're spending a few days in Southern California. So when Sarah of Emmyloubeedou asked me to join her Bimaa tour I decided to whip one up for Jimmy. The pattern is offered by Lou Bee Clothing patterns and I've got to say, it's a good deal. The pattern comes with a shawl collar, a cowl neck collar, and a new hoodie finish, too. It seems like every pattern tour I do it for girls, so I was psyched to make something for my little dude.

I used a light weight red thermal fabric and a star print thermal as an accent. Okay, so I didn't have enough red to do the entire Beach Bum Bimaa, but I like the contrast effect.

Beach Bum Bimaa hooodie and pin-up Prefontaine Shorts for boys || Made with Moxie || Self drafted kangaroo pocket and contrast fabric trim.

Beach Bum Bimaa hooodie and pin-up Prefontaine Shorts for boys || Made with Moxie || Self drafted kangaroo pocket and contrast fabric trim.

I complimented Jimmy's new Bimaa hoodie with a pair of Prefontaine shorts for our beach adventure. The fabric is a Robert Kaufman pin up girl print with Hawaiian hibiscus. The colors match so well and Jimmy loves a new pair of Prefontaine shorts. The fabric was left over from a Hawaiian shirt I made for my husband last year.

Beach Bum Bimaa hooodie and pin-up Prefontaine Shorts for boys || Made with Moxie || Ladies in his pockets, hawaiian style.

Pin-up Prefontaine Shorts for boys || Made with Moxie || Sewing for boys. Fun Hawaiian pin-up girls print fabric.

I used the shape of the Bimaa pattern front to draft a kangaroo shape pocket for the front of the hoodie. My kids are suckers for pockets. Jimmy was delighted to keep his hands tucked in.

My favorite part of the Bimaa hoodie pattern is that I sewed the entire thing with my serger. Knits and my sewing machine don't seem to play together well. But my serger loves knits so I kill two birds with one stone.

Beach Bum Bimaa hooodie and pin-up Prefontaine Shorts for boys || Made with Moxie || Self drafted kangaroo pocket for boy Bimaa pattern. Sewing for boys.

Pin-up Prefontaine Shorts and Beach Bum Bimaa hoodie with kangaroo pocket for boys || Made with Moxie || Sewing for boys. Fun Hawaiian pin-up girls print fabric and snuggly thermal hoodie with stars.

Want to make your own Beach Bum outfit? Grab a copy of the Bimaa hoodie pattern here and the Prefontaine shorts pattern here. Hope y'all are enjoying nice weather and a great weekend!