Made with Moxie: Jungle Ave. Skyline Skirt

June 4, 2014

Jungle Ave. Skyline Skirt

A few months ago it was super exciting when Art Gallery fabrics announced they would be doing Limited Edition fabric lines designed by talented and diverse designers. Each line is planned to have eight prints and be versatile enough for apparel, accessory, quilting and home decor sewing. This I especially love. It rubs me the wrong way when someone says that you're not supposed to make clothing from quilting cotton. "Supposed to?" The fabric police and I do not get along.

Jungle Ave. Skyline Skirt || Fabric by Sew Sweetness, design by Made with Moxie

This month the Limited Edition line, Jungle Ave. by Sara Lawson of Sew Sweetness, is hitting fabric shops everywhere. When Sara asked me to make something, anything, with her new fabric I jumped at the opportunity. Actually I shouted YES, then did a little dance, but then calmly replied in the affirmative to Sara in email. Not only do I love to help indie designers out, but the Jungle Ave. is so awesome to me. I love the colors and the city edge to it all. Plus, Sara is known for making dresses out of quilting fabric so I knew her fabrics would be perfect for clothing.

Choosing prints and a project was hard. I really adore most all of the prints in the Jungle Ave. line. Plus, the fact that I could sew anything with it left me with a bit of Blank Canvas Syndrome. You know, where you stare at the empty white canvas forever, not sure what to do or where to start, but afraid to mar the perfect and unblemished surface? I'm not the only one who does that, right?

Jungle Ave. Skyline Skirt || Fabric by Sew Sweetness, design by Made with Moxie

In any case, these are the situations where I often come up with a grand idea and then half way through think, what the hell was I thinking. Since Sara's fabric line was inspired by her love of Chicago I decided to recreate Chicago's skyline. I originally was going to sew up a new bag, but then I thought I just did Jungle Ave. injustice by not making a piece of clothing. And the Skyline Skirt was born.

To make your own skyline applique, print google search for a silhouette of your favorite city's skyline. Print it out the finished size you'd like it to be and trace it onto freezer paper. Or print it directly onto freezer paper, which I did. People, computer printer sized freezer paper is freaking awesome, in my opinion.

Jungle Ave. Skyline Skirt || Fabric by Sew Sweetness, design by Made with Moxie

Cut out your skyline, fuse it to the right side of your fabric, then trim the fabric so that there is a 1/4 allowance around the skyline edge. Trim external corners and clip diagonals into internal corners. Finger press the fabric around your skyline and use a clear colored glue stick (test your fabric first) to tack down fabric allowances. I've got to tell you, this worked brilliantly. I expected this to not go smoothly, or get burnt fingers from using the iron. Not at all. I sat down at the table for 15 - 20 minutes tops to finger press and tack down my edges with the glue stick to the wrong side of my skyline. Either I'm getting better at my hack ideas or the hacker gods were smiling upon me, but super easy. Peel your freezer paper off and top stitch your skyline applique to your base. Done.

Jungle Ave. Skyline Skirt || Fabric by Sew Sweetness, design by Made with Moxie Jungle Ave. Skyline Skirt || Fabric by Sew Sweetness, design by Made with Moxie

I used the tutorial to draft my own reversible skirt with a yoga waistband. It's super comfortable and perfect for hot summer days. I live in skirts and tshirts all summer long. (This coming from the girl who designed a shorts pattern. I know!) The reverse side of the Skyline Skirt has patch pockets too.

Jungle Ave. Skyline Skirt || Fabic by Sew Sweetness, design by Made with Moxie Jungle Ave. Skyline Skirt || Fabic by Sew Sweetness, design by Made with Moxie

I've got to tell you the hand of this fabric is really nice. I'm totally a texture girl. I've sent things to the Goodwill because they were itchy, or pilled, or just, well, creepy feeling. Jungle Ave. is smooooooooth. It's made from tightly twisted threads of cotton. Think of really fabulous high thread count sheets. Then kind that stay so cool and you want to slide in between on a hot summer night. It's like that. No joke. When I wear my Skyline Skirt I find myself running my hands over my thighs all day. (Oh man, I'm going to get more pervy google search results now. )

Want to see more? Check out the prints from Jungle Ave. right here. You check out the other Limited Editions planned for this summer too. Thank you, Sara! I love it.





Don't forget that Perfect Pattern Parcel #3 is on sale now through June 13. Fabulous summer patterns by indie designers!